The Vlast Truda
Plywood Plant has a 150-year history which began from nearly artisan
production of matches.
In 1858, it was
Stepan Petrovich Kamendrovsky who undertook quite a new business for Nizhny
Lomov town. The Kamendrovskys could
hardly imagine that very soon the Nizhny Lomov district would become the centre
of match industry in the Volga Region.
In 1887, the
factory manufactured 20,000 cases of phosphorous matches and 2,000 cases of safety
or Lucifer matches to the total amount of 35,000 rubles. The matches were sold in Nizhny Lomov, Penza, Syzran, Saratov.
In 1894, the Kamendrovskys were the first in Russia who turned entirely to
manufacture of safety matches and introduced the maximum possible automation to
the match production. In the period between 1897 and 1901, the factory was
completely electrified. Due to the reorganization the factory grew into one of
the major facilities in the branch and the most technically innovative
manufacture in Russia. It was well-known for its high quality
products as well. In 1896, the Kamendrovsky's matches won the gold medal at the
famous Nizhny Novgorod Fair.
In 1900, Fedor,
Stepan Kamendrovsky's son, made his first visit abroad and exhibited their
products at the Fair in Paris. The quality of the Russian fabricator's
matches made a great impression even on the Swedish manufacturers renowned in Europe for their best-quality matches. As a result, Fedor Kamendrovsky won his first foreign medal for his quality products.
In the same year
Stepan Kamendrovsky died, and his son Fedor Kamendrovsky took the family
business in his hands. By that time, Nizhny Lomov district
became the major supplier of matches in the South Russia. The Kamendrovskys matches, labeled with
the manufacturers trade mark showing a lions head against the background of
the rising sun, won 10 medals at the trade fairs in Nizhny Novgorod, Paris, London, Leipzig, and Rome.
They defied competition with the best European matches made in Sweden. The
purchase orders were sent to Nizhny Lomov from Russia,
Europe, Trans-Caucasian countries, Central Asia, Iran,Turkey
In 1917, the
factory was nationalized and renamed several times. In February 1936, the
Peoples Commissariat for Forestry made a decision to reconstruct and
reorganize the "Vlast Truda" Match Factory into a plywood factory. In 1937, the reconstruction was completed, and
the manufacture of plywood for aircraft industry began. Only one hot pressing
machine was used with an annual capacity of 15,000 cubic meters.
During the WWW II a second hot pressing machine was installed. In 1942, the
factory fulfilled the Government war-effort order to manufacture special-purpose
skis. During the wartime 29,000 cubic metersof plywood were produced, as well as a great number of war-and
defense-essential products. In 1954,
a furniture making section was launched at the factory.
The section was in operation until 1978, when it was reconstructed for
manufacture of shaped parts.
celebrated its one-hundredth anniversary, having already grown into a
manufacturing enterprise of a strong financial position, good economic health
and being a newcomer in the foreign market. The first export batches were
manufactured by the Vlast Truda in 1961. The main export product was the FBA-E
Grade C 4 mmsanded plywood bonded with albumin-casein glue. The product of that type was
much in demand in the domestic market as well, but the factory could not fill the
local need because of low manufacturing capacity and lack of proper equipment. For
this reason, in 1968, the regional authorities made a decision "Оn reconstruction of the plant and the increase of
production capacities". In 1971, piles for construction of a new plywood
production department were drawn. In 1970, the manufacture of FK urea-resin
bonded plywood was launched. The annual capacity reached 22,500 cu. m.. In
1982, due to the innovation techniques introduced at the plant the manufacture of
a new products range began: FK plywood, FK-E plywood (export-grade), FSF
plywood, and 4-12 mmaircraft grade plywood. The urea-formaldehyde resin with sulfite-waste liquor was
used, and a cold pressing method was applied for mechanical feeding of plywood
bales into the hot press. 5 years later, the manufacture was organized of TM
fire-retardant plywood for subway cars. And in 1996, we launched the production
of TM fire-retardant plywood for railroad coach industry.
In 1995, the plant
was awarded by the Building and Woodworking International (BWI) with the "Arch of Europe Star for Excellence and
Quality". The plant was
put on the list of the RussiaвЂ™s
major manufacturing enterprises and won вЂњThe Leader of the Russian EconomyвЂќ
In 2002, N.I. Sibrimov was elected the Director General. A course was
immediately set for expansion of the production volume and extension of the international
business relations. Thus, the contemporary history of the oldest manufacturing
enterprise in the region began. Over
recent years, modern drying and peeling lines, new hot presses and machines
have been installed in the production shops and departments. The production
process is organized as a closed integrated complex.
Due to modernization of the production process and introduction of the advanced
techniques, the working and environmental conditions are being appreciably improved,
and the workers social protection is being provided. Recently, the major
production shop floors have been expanded, new transportation department and
forestry & wood processing sector were launched, a second station for
manufacture of large-size plywood panels was put in operation. Since 1996, the number of payroll workers and
employees has increased from 900 to 2200 making up 70 per cent of the total
payroll staff of medium and large businesses in the district. The plants
technical staff and the scientists of Moscow State University of Forestry are
making a joint effort to develop techniques for manufacture of new plywood
types that are in demand both in Russia and abroad. Today,
almost every new passenger coach in Russia is made using the
fire-resistant large-size plywood panels manufactured in Nizhny Lomov.